cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS -ASA

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. i have ASA 5525 running in HA. I want to setup IPS now on ASA. I approached to cisco sale person for license for it and then he told me about ASA Firepower. I am bit confuse b/w IPS and firepower. Are these same or different. If different then which one is best to go with.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, FirePOWER is supported starting on ASA version 9.2(2.4). That means, that you first have to upgrade your ASA before you can install the FirePOWER sw-module.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Cisco has two sw-modules for IPS: The legacy IPS and the new (Sourcefire) FirePOWER. Because FirePOWER is better then the old IPS, Cisco already announced EOS/EOL of the old IPS. So there is only one IPS that should be bought, and that's FirePOWER.

Thanks Karsten.. i have read some where that firepower support with ASA software version 9.2 and above. Is this correct. I am running ASA 5525X with sofware ver 9.1 currently. So do i need to upgrade software on my ASA before deploying it. Pls advise.

Yes, FirePOWER is supported starting on ASA version 9.2(2.4). That means, that you first have to upgrade your ASA before you can install the FirePOWER sw-module.

Thanks Karsten.. also if you could share firepower configuration guides apart from those which is available on cisco site then would be really appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card