Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS module for Cisco 3925 router?

NInja Black
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

To be HIPAA compliant our company needs to have an IPS device. I was looking into it and I came across this router module (See link below). We have about 200 users behind the router and we have 2 branch offices with a similar setup. My concerns are, will this module fulfill our requirement of having a decent IPS solution. Will it be able to support an enterprise network? What factors do I need to take into account when finalizing an IPS device.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1841-integrated-services-router-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd806c4e2a.html

Any insight is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those network modules and all of the "legacy" Cisco IPS devices, modules and software are end-of-sales. Here's the announcement confirming that for those particular modules.

For a modest requirement such as yours, I recommend a small ASA 5500-X series running in transparent mode with the FirePOWER services module running the IPS feature. That's minimally intrusive to your network ("bump in the wire") and doesn't cost all that much for the capabilities it offers. the exact model would be primarily dependent on your current and projected throughput but for up to over 50 Mbps with IPS policy active you would be fine with the smallest model (ASA 5506-X).

Find a Cisco partner who has a security practice in your area. They can advise you on details and provide a quote.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Those network modules and all of the "legacy" Cisco IPS devices, modules and software are end-of-sales. Here's the announcement confirming that for those particular modules.

For a modest requirement such as yours, I recommend a small ASA 5500-X series running in transparent mode with the FirePOWER services module running the IPS feature. That's minimally intrusive to your network ("bump in the wire") and doesn't cost all that much for the capabilities it offers. the exact model would be primarily dependent on your current and projected throughput but for up to over 50 Mbps with IPS policy active you would be fine with the smallest model (ASA 5506-X).

Find a Cisco partner who has a security practice in your area. They can advise you on details and provide a quote.

We do have an ASA 5515 (HS setup) behind the router and we have decided to go with getting the FirePOWER license for the ASAs. Apparently there is a VM setup needed for this but that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your advise. :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card