cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is AES-256-CBC the same as AES-256-SHA?

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

Trying to VPN peer an ASA 5505 to a 3rd party's Palo Alto.  The only IKE/IPSec options they have are CBC and GCM.  Are either of those the same as the AES256-SHA that the ASA's support or am I out of luck? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dean,
AES-CBC is an encryption algorithm, whereas SHA is a hashing algorithm, they are seperate algorithms. AES-GCM algorithm performs both encryption and hashing functions without requiring a seperate hashing algorithm, it is the latest Suite B Next Generation algorithm and probably not supported on as ASA 5505.

So on the ASA you'd define the encryption as AES-CBC 128|192|256 and then hashing as SHA 128|192|256, that should work fine with the PA firewall.

Example:-

crypto ikev1 policy 10
encryption aes-256
hash sha

crypto ipsec ikev1 transform-set VPN-TRANSFORM esp-aes-256 esp-sha-hmac

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi Dean,
AES-CBC is an encryption algorithm, whereas SHA is a hashing algorithm, they are seperate algorithms. AES-GCM algorithm performs both encryption and hashing functions without requiring a seperate hashing algorithm, it is the latest Suite B Next Generation algorithm and probably not supported on as ASA 5505.

So on the ASA you'd define the encryption as AES-CBC 128|192|256 and then hashing as SHA 128|192|256, that should work fine with the PA firewall.

Example:-

crypto ikev1 policy 10
encryption aes-256
hash sha

crypto ipsec ikev1 transform-set VPN-TRANSFORM esp-aes-256 esp-sha-hmac

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for replying. So basically I would just configure the ASA the same way I always have and not worry about the CBC verbiage right? The thing that's throwing me off is on the Palo it is called "AES-256-CBC," whereas on the ASA it is not called "CBC" anywhere. 

Hi, on the ASA it doesn't explictly state it's AES-CBC but it is.

HTH
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card