Helpful
Replies

Is my ASA 5505 almost dead ?

mathieupoussin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just got a refurbished ASA 5505.

It works fine until un need to reload it or unplug it from power en replug it, when I do this and it's warm (even after some minutes of uses, so still physicaly cold while touching it), in this case, it simply reboot in chain withing 1 or 2 seconds. I have to unplug it from power and wait 5 minutes before replugging it to power.

I don't know if it's a problem from the power supply (that makes some noise, but I think it's normal), I tried loading more the power supply by plugin in some PoE device (Cisco 7940G) and it works fine, so it looks more like it's a problem on the ASA itself.

I posted a video of it's reboot cycles... and nothing show on the console port.

http://youtu.be/ktZd_6IUYy8

Do you have any idea of what can be the problem ? Must I send it back to the vendor ?

I tried updating the ASA image, but this don't changes anything.

Thank you

2 Replies 2

Keith McElroy
Level 1
Level 1

You may want to check the environment monitors on the device, see if it is heating up. I believe the command is show environment. I would pull apart the case and check for obstructions like hair and such, make sure all heatsinks and cooling ducts/vents are clear. Finally, you may want to just contact the vendor and see if they have a reasonable return policy, may just be faulty hardware, it happens.

The environment is clean, connected after an UPS, on a room at ~18C°.

I found this: http://www.gomjabbar.com/2011/05/26/cisco-asa-5505-diy-ram-upgrade/

And this is exactly what it shows, so maybe the ram is faulty and randomly prevent the ASA from booting.

What do you think ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card