cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is SSH port 22 both directions?

cluovpemb
Level 1
Level 1

It is amazing how hard it is to find an answer to this question.  Even searching for "port" and "22" in the various RFC's for SSH didn't give me an answer. 

I am trying to find out is if SSH sends on port 22 from the SSH client.  I know the SSH server listens on port 22 and in other networking operations, you'd have the client using a random port when making the connect to the remote server port. 

I can't even test this and view netstat as I have no functioning SSH servers to connect to at present

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Should be like any other connection a client initiates

Heres the log output of my home ASA forming SSH connections with Putty client (I'm connecting to another network device outside my network)

Built outbound TCP connection 1047167 for WAN:x.x.x.x/22 (x.x.x.x/22) to LAN:10.0.0.4/55516

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Should be like any other connection a client initiates

Heres the log output of my home ASA forming SSH connections with Putty client (I'm connecting to another network device outside my network)

Built outbound TCP connection 1047167 for WAN:x.x.x.x/22 (x.x.x.x/22) to LAN:10.0.0.4/55516

- Jouni

Thanks for the answer Jouni.  I wasn't sure how long it might be before I got an answer here so I plugged in a couple of IOS 15.2 routers and gave them a template config from a product unit.  Enabled droppkt logging and logging on the class class-default and was ablde to see that 22 is just the listening port on the server, but the client will use anything (51257 in my case)

Great to know!  Thank you again. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card