Helpful
Replies

ISE cli password recovery in HA

Ramesh Babu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I need to recovery ISE CLI Password. I want to know following details

1. While creating new CLI password can i use special character ?

2. How to do the failover, which device failover need to execute the password recovery procedure ? Primary or 1st we need start secondary then primary ?. That the case how to do the failover ?

Because our end PAN autofailover option is not enabled. 

Hence please tell me, how i need to concentrate with Failover.

3. For backup purpose while download the certificate from the ISE, its asking private key password, which password i need to use, i can use anything or ?

Please give your answer its very urgent

5 Replies 5

@Ramesh Babu the ISE CLI password is not synced, you will need to change the password on each ISE node. Yes you can use a special character. You specify the private key when backing up.

@Rob Ingram 

Sure Thanks. During password recovery steps, how to do the failover?. Im not clear.

Also our device PAN autofailover option is not enabled. Hence what are the steps i have to follow.

@Ramesh Babu ok so you are rebooting the ISE PAN to recover the CLI password? If so you don't necessarily need to promote the secondary PAN to primary, but if you do wish to see the section "Promote the Secondary PAN to Primary" in this guide https://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2812072&seqNum=2

Sure,

Password recovery mechanism we are going to perform, i heard we need to perform both Primary & Secondary, during the time any failover i need to do ? 

If yes i want to do the failover then 1st which device i have to start the activity, means 1st Password recovery mechanism execute on the Secondary then Primary, during the time any failover action i need to take?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/200568-ISE-Password-Recovery-Mechanisms.html

The PSNs will continue to process authentications while the admin node is down. I would only perform a fail-over if it will be down for an extended amount of time. Password recovery is fairly quick, the biggest wait is ISE services coming back up after a reboot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card