cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue migrating Juniper s2s VPN to FTD

paultribe
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue whereby I am migrating Juniper SSG firewalls that have multiple VPNs to Cisco FTD running FTD 6.2.3 software (Not ASA).

The problem is the Juniper SSG's terminate all the s2s VPN's on a loopback interface but the ASA cannot do this. As a workaround I thought to just add another physical interface on the FTD and use a /30 IP address which includes the old loopback; then just statically route towards the remote VPN's peer & proxy ID's via this extra interface. The problem is the ISP router has no free interfaces. I also suggested using sub interfaces between the FTD and the ISP router but that was also a no go. Oh and the other thing there are too many S2S VPN's for all the remote sides to change the peer address.

Does anyone know of any other way I can achieve this, In a lab I have tried creating a NAT entry that NAT's the loopback address to the outside interface address (That VPNs terminate on), as follows:

nat (outside,outside) source static REAL_VPN_INTF NATTED_VPN_INTF

I then put a static towards the NAT/loopback address on the "ISP" router but no joy, only that the NATTED address appeared in the ARP cache on the router; having not messed about with NAT that much to "fudge" things I have probably done this wrong.

Any help would be useful.

3 Replies 3

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Typically if you have an ASA with a public IP address on its outside IP address. the remote end of the VPN uses that public IP address as the VPN Peer address. have you tried this, or is there any reason this is not possible in your setup?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi there

The issue is I am doing a migrstion from juniper to cisco and the junipers were using a loopback for s2s VPNs to terminate on. This is not the same as the real address being migrated to the FTD outside interface. The customer has so many S2S VPNs they do not want to get all their clients to change the peer address they point to and I cannot use the loopback as the real address I have to use the real address migrated from the junipers.

Regards
Paul

ok fair enough, i understand the issue. does the loopback on the juniper have a public ip address ( i am guessing yes).? 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/firewalls/ipsec-vpn-termination-on-different-ip/td-p/3687714

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card