cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loading Cisco Secure Client on FTD firewall

DEENA VERAPPAN
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to install the new cisco secure client 5.1.4-74, which will auto update when remote users log in. However I would only like to install the vpn client, and not the rest of the msi's that are loaded in the cisco-secure-client-win-5.1.4.74-webdeploy-k9.pkg. Is there a way to, strip out the other MSI's and just install the vpn client?

When trying to load the client through FMC, with file type of Secure Client Image, the default extension is listed as .pkg(see attached pic.)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ccieexpert
Level 1
Level 1

Why do you want to strip out the other modules ? you control from FMC group policy what modules you want pushed to the client.. i dont see a valid reason to remove it from the package.. The package is a compressed archive format, and can be opened using 7zip etc.. and i was able to remove executables... but i am not sure if Cisco checks the hash etc of the pkg with something inside or some other method... i dont have a fmc handy to test it out... but would like to hear from you on the use case before we dig into further ?

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You always use the pkg file on the VPN headend. As @ccieexpert noted, the group policy associated with the VPN connection controls where any modules beyond the default (Core and VPN) are downloaded, as well as their associated profiles (if any).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ccieexpert
Level 1
Level 1

Why do you want to strip out the other modules ? you control from FMC group policy what modules you want pushed to the client.. i dont see a valid reason to remove it from the package.. The package is a compressed archive format, and can be opened using 7zip etc.. and i was able to remove executables... but i am not sure if Cisco checks the hash etc of the pkg with something inside or some other method... i dont have a fmc handy to test it out... but would like to hear from you on the use case before we dig into further ?

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You always use the pkg file on the VPN headend. As @ccieexpert noted, the group policy associated with the VPN connection controls where any modules beyond the default (Core and VPN) are downloaded, as well as their associated profiles (if any).

DEENA VERAPPAN
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the feedback. I wasn't expecting to see all the other modules as part of the package. Looking at the Group Policy, I could see where I'm able to select the modules to be implemented.

Thank you again, appreciate the support.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card