cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback/Hairpin NAT Policy

spencermoore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I'm having trouble configuring a loopback policy. I need to be able to reach an internal server (email) using it's public IP. The NAT rule that I currently have in place allows access to said server from the outside with no issue. However, when I attempt to connect to this public IP from the inside I receive no response (page cannot be displayed). I've run multiple "packet traces" and they come back with no error. What am I missing? I have also enabled "enable traffic between two or more interfaces with the same security level" and "enable traffic between two or more hosts connected to the same interface". Thanks for your time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The issue you are facing is most likely a DNS issue.  Is your DNS server located on the same subnet as the inside network or are you using a public DNS server?  If you are using a public DNS server or if your DNS server is located off a different interface than your inside network then you need to add the key word dns to the end of the NAT statement you have created for accessing the server from the internet. If the DNS server is located on the same subnet as the inside network, you will need to create a NAT statement that translates the public address to the private address on the inside network:

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

object network LAN

subnet 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

object network SERVER_PRIVATE

host 10.10.10.10

object network SERVER_PUBLIC

host 62.62.62.62

nat (inside,inside) souce static LAN LAN destination static SERVER_PUBLIC SERVER_PRIVATE

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

The issue you are facing is most likely a DNS issue.  Is your DNS server located on the same subnet as the inside network or are you using a public DNS server?  If you are using a public DNS server or if your DNS server is located off a different interface than your inside network then you need to add the key word dns to the end of the NAT statement you have created for accessing the server from the internet. If the DNS server is located on the same subnet as the inside network, you will need to create a NAT statement that translates the public address to the private address on the inside network:

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

object network LAN

subnet 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

object network SERVER_PRIVATE

host 10.10.10.10

object network SERVER_PUBLIC

host 62.62.62.62

nat (inside,inside) souce static LAN LAN destination static SERVER_PUBLIC SERVER_PRIVATE

--

--
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card