cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loss of communication with FTD after software update reboot

williaat0125
Level 1
Level 1

I have an FTD device managed by vFMC. The FTD management port connects to a Cisco 9606 switch copper into rj45 SFP. During my last two software upgrades, communication with the FTD is lost during the reboot process. The 9606 shows up/up; however, you cannot ping the management port. The FMC gives times out on the wait during the reboot and reports upgrade failed, and reports loss of communication with the FTD. When I perform a shut/no shut on the port, the status of the port changes to down/down. Once I unplug the management port cable on the 9606 and replug it, the communication returns. No other server or device connected to the 9606 does this. Only the FTD. By the way, once the comm returns the FMC sees the FTD and reports that the upgrade was successful. I can also confirm this on the FMC. I've ruled out the cable, the SFP module and the port. I've duplicated this on other ports. My first thought is that this is a bug, but I don't see any bugs on this. I'm delaying calling Cisco TAC because I'm tired of the initial script they follow to get to the root cause that could take several days. And they come back and say "reimage" the FTD. Lame. Anyone seen this before? Any ideas?  

4 Replies 4

Minh, Nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi williaat0125,

When the 9606 shows up/up, can you show the MAC learned on this interface? and show your configuration for MGMT in the FTD CLI: # show managers and # show network

Great idea. I will have to try that. Not sure when we plan to upgrade again; but something I will try on the next upgrade.

Thanks

To which version did you upgrade?

I upgraded to 7.4.2

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card