Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate SFR to smart license in FMC

Hi all,

We have a 5508-X SFR module registered to an FMC using classic licensing, which has now expired. 

We have added smart licensing to the FMC which worked fine, however, the SFR is still using the expired classic licenses.

I was thinking that if I deleted the current SFR from the FMC and then deleted the manager from the SFR, I could then recreate the device in FMC and select the relevant smart licenses. Then register the SFR back to the FMC and push out any policies.

Has anyone tried this before and did it work? If not, what would the fix be to get the SFR onto the classic license in the FMC?

Thanks

Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, ASA 5508-X classic licenses for AMP and URL would need to be purchased. However those are being phased out - I believe you can still purchase 1 year term licenses but not for much longer.

Smart licenses for FTD (and just about anything else) are specific to the appliance type. Conversion from ASA to FTD isn't super hard but it is also not trivial and would require some work.

In general, ASA 5508-X is past end of sales (as are all ASA hardware appliances) and customers should consider migrating to new hardware.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ASA Firepower service modules use classic licenses exclusively. There are no smart licenses for the devices.

The classic license for FMC as well as the Control+Protect licenses for Firepower service modules are both non-expiring (i.e., permanent). The IPS subscription is term-based but is not checked by FMC. Only the URL Filtering and Malware (AMP) licenses are checked for valid dates.

Thank you, Marvin. That would explain it. I see that the URL and AMP licenses have expired so I assume the client will need to purchase a license renewal.

So thinking out aloud, if I converted the ASA into and FTD then would I be able to use the smart licenses that my client has installed?

Thanks

Nick

Yes, ASA 5508-X classic licenses for AMP and URL would need to be purchased. However those are being phased out - I believe you can still purchase 1 year term licenses but not for much longer.

Smart licenses for FTD (and just about anything else) are specific to the appliance type. Conversion from ASA to FTD isn't super hard but it is also not trivial and would require some work.

In general, ASA 5508-X is past end of sales (as are all ASA hardware appliances) and customers should consider migrating to new hardware.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card