Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating from Fortigate to FTD

zufayri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We require an expert's assistance for the migration of FortiGate to Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) as part of our technological refresh initiative within End user request. Currently, there is no provision for the acquisition of a Firepower Management Center (FMC) on their end, as their deployment consists of a single Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) device. My inquiry pertains to the management approach for this solitary FTD unit, which presumably involves utilizing Firepower Device Manager (FDM).

A challenge we face is the dependency on the Cisco migration tool, which necessitates the presence of an FMC to facilitate configuration deployment to the FTD. It's important to note that utilizing this migration tool would result in the removal of all existing configurations within the FTD during the management process via the FMC.

Therefore, my primary concern is how to ensure the uninterrupted operation of the FTD within the FDM environment post-migration, without a recurrent configuration wipeout. Preliminary investigations have indicated that unmanaging the FTD from the FMC also leads to the removal of its configuration.

To address this challenge, we have temporarily acquired a trial version of the FMC for the migration process. However, it is essential to emphasize that our client is not inclined to integrate permanent FMC into their existing infrastructure. Is it still possible to do this migration?

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just migrate it manually - i.e. have a qualified engineer examine the Fortigate configuration section by section and recreate it using FDM.

zufayri
Level 1
Level 1

it will took longer to do manually as the client have many policies and routing. 

Well your choices are to either use the migration tool (requires FMC - but could be cloud-delivered FMC) or do it manually.

I migrated one manually several years ago with about 200 rules in the policy (prior to the tool supporting Fortigate).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card