cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAC Upgrade question

bclough
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to upgrade our CAS and CAM systems from version 4.6.1 to 4.7.2. The documentation states that "Cisco recommends you do not perform this upgrade procedure over an SSH connection, as the steps necessary to reboot the appliance during the upgrade process will cause your connection to be lost."

Is the only concern with using SSH that you will lose your connection and need to reconnect (and possibly miss some console messages), or is there something in the upgrade that can only be done from a console connection?

My CAS systems are 65 miles apart and being forced to drive between locations will increase the window for a potential outage.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

netjustin
Level 1
Level 1

We bumped our CAM and 2 ea. CAS up to 4.7.2 with SSH only, no console access. Not always the best idea (in case for some reason you DO need it) but it can be done completely via SSH for commands and SCP for file transfer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

netjustin
Level 1
Level 1

We bumped our CAM and 2 ea. CAS up to 4.7.2 with SSH only, no console access. Not always the best idea (in case for some reason you DO need it) but it can be done completely via SSH for commands and SCP for file transfer.

Faisal Sehbai
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Best to do this over console, since the tar.gz file includes an ISO and the system is booted up with that ISO and the underlying OS thus upgraded from Fedora Core to CentOS. If you start this over SSH, the process will start, but if it gets stuck due to whatever reason you'll be left with a dead CCA device which you'll have to re-image and start over.

HTH,

Faisal

Hallo,

Could I ask yuo how you did upgrade from 4.6.1 to 4.7.2 over SSH? Because I tried it and first question was:

Please choose one of the following actions:
1) Upgrade over Standard console.
2) Upgrade over Serial console.
3) Exit upgrade.

When I choose option 1 then after restart it gets stuck. When I choose option 2 then after restart there is need to enter "the master secret" but it is possible only over serial console because SSH is disconnected and is not possible to connect back.

Can you help me?

Thank You

Best Regards

Michal Dubec

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: