cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT Confusion - PIX 6.3.4/7.0

AmyColiso
Level 1
Level 1

I am having translation issues, have tried upgrading to 7.0, then went back to 6.3, all because of NAT.

I have the following setup: switch connects to Eth1 on PIX, PIX Eth0 goes out to border router. We have two networks, that need to go out to the net, both have public addresses. so, we did:

access-list no_nat permit ip any any

nat (inside) 0 access-list no_nat

static (inside,outside) abcd abcd (where abcd in my inside but public ips)

I thought having the access-list (policy nat) wtih the nat 0 would mean traffic originating from the inside, would be allowed back in. It isn't working. Do I need a nat for the outside? I am confused..suggestions appreciated, what is meant by nat exemption in 7.0?

1 Reply 1

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Bi-directional communication (b/ inside and outside) cannot be achieved with NAT 0 unless the connection is initiated by the hosts located in the internal network.

In order to allow communication b/ outside and inside with no translation, you may want to try the following:

static (inside,outside) netmask

That allows inside network to be translated on the outside and as consequence it can be accessible from the public with their original IPs which are public IPs in your case.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card