Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT on ASA.

nishikesh
Level 1
Level 1

This is about NAT on ASA.

I would like to know about TWICE NAT/ DESTINATION NAT. I know about STATIC NAT, but confused about TWICE NAT/ DESTINATION NAT.

Not sure when TWICE NAT/ DESTINATION NAT required in network. Is there any criteria or specific cases when we use TWICE NAT/ DESTINATION NAT. Why do we need to NAT destination IP?

Can someone please help me to understand these NAT related terms on Cisco ASA.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Two scenarios:

1. Twice NAT or policy NAT: All traffic sent out of the outside interface is PATed to a public address. Without extra configuration this PAT would also be applied to traffic that gets sent through a VPN to your Branch. Here Twice NAT is used to exempt the traffic.
  2. Destination NAT: Think about a (totally theoretically) scenario like the following:
    All your 10000 PCs access a server that is located in the DMZ. The client-sofware uses a config-file where the server IP-adress is hardcoded and not configured as a DNS name. After renewing the server, the new server get's a new address in the DMZ. Instead of reconfiguring every single PC (and there is no system-manaement available; well it's just an example ;-) ) you could configure destination-NAT so that the clients still access the old address, but the ASA rewrites that address to the new server.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card