cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need advice on migrating firewalls to active/active setup

spfister336
Level 2
Level 2

We have a 6509e as the core of our network. Connected to this are a pair of ASA 5585-Xs acting as a firewall. These are currently in an active/standby setup. Lately, in the mornings especially, we seem to be hitting the limit of how much traffic these can handle. We would like to migrate over to active/active to distribute the load better. As far as I can tell, we have a license for active/active. Currently, there's a single default route pointing to the active firewall's inside address.

How is this normally done? Is it common to use a FHRP like GLBP? I'm really hoping to not have to redesign the whole network.

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure you have clarity on Active / Active Firewall

ASA Active / Active FW  means  Multi-Context default

That means :

Context A

FW1- Active - FW2 Standby

Context B

FW -Standby  FW2  -- Active

So the end is Active-Standby - is this your requirement?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

spfister336
Level 2
Level 2

My main goal is to distribute the load. One ASA is hitting capacity (not constantly, but enough that end-users are noticing), and one isn't doing anything. They have SSP-20 in both. We could look at replacing them, but since we appear to have licenses for active/active, I thought I'd look at this first.

I'll have a look at this. What is active/active for? Doesn't this help balance the load across both ASAes?

spfister336
Level 2
Level 2

Also... if one unit fails, will that bring down the cluster?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me address both :

What is active/active for? Doesn't this help balance the load across both ASAes?

This only available for context.

Also... if one unit fails, will that bring down the cluster?

No it will not bring down the cluster. :

a better explanation can be found here : (hope that give you more information about what you looking for)

https://networkdirection.net/articles/firewalls/asacluster/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card