Helpful
Replies

no real time logging on ASDM with Firepower 5.4.1.4-15

tamimkushjar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have an issue in the ASDM event-logging  "Real Time Eventing" 

The issue is that it lacks, real time eventing!

I had to check why a certain site is not reachable with the browser test. When I tried to check the logging I didn't see anything with the specific source address "Initiator IP=192.168.41.61"  so I tried a telnet session in order to test connectivity to the specific destination which is successful however in the logging there are still no hits!  On the default rule out I have logging enabled.

Everything seems to be up and running and I see hits on my service-policy SFR which is increasing as well.
During the browser I don't see any drop/reset-drop counter increasing.

wamajspk0002# show service-policy sfr

Global policy: 
Service-policy: global_policy
Class-map: SFR
SFR: card status Up, mode fail-open
packet input 143861065, packet output 143862856, drop 2674, reset-drop 4734

I this a bug or normal behavior?

8 Replies 8

ankojha
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Could you check if you have enabled "logging at the end of connection" in the access control rule.

Thanks,

Ankita

I have the same problem and I've logged EVERYTHING in the Access policy. This is terrible as I can not tune the policy, just see that SFR requests the drop in the ASA logs, but don't know what part of the policy is dropping it.

I'm also at the latest patch.

Hi,

That is expected . The traffic which is being dropped by SFR and it requests ASA to do that , the drop counter may increase.To confirm you can run the command : show service-policy sfr like multiple times and see if the drop bytes are increasing .

You can run the : show asp drop command on ASA and see under what category its being dropped.

The doc explains it further :http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa92/asdm72/firewall/asa-firewall-asdm/modules-sfr.pdf

Check page 28 and 29.

Regards,

Aastha Bhardwaj

Rate if that helps!!!

Perhaps I should clarify, the ASDM logs the SFR drops fine, however the FirePower Monitoring (ASDM -> Monitoring -> FirePowerMonitoring ->Real-time Eventing) is blank, where it should show firepower event information (according to the docs) with details as to if it matched a policy and what action was taken and why. (i.e. matched inbound access policy, blocked due to URL match of Global-Blacklist).

Without this, it makes the firepower module next to useless, as you can't properly tune your firepower access policy and enable/disable various signatures & URLs.  The ASA event only gives you the L4 flow info, not the FirePower event info.

Hello,

I just encountered the same issue, we have 2 ASAs with identical Software and almost identical confguration. On one of them, the Logging is working fine, on the other one I see nothing. I am going to open a TAC on this, and I will share my findings.

The TAC has asked me to reinstall the patches I applied..we'll see if this solves it.. I also have the problem where one works and one doesn't. Go figure.

Hi,

So, at first I was given a surprised tone, as this bug was supposed to be fixed in v.6.0. After that, the TAC sent me a workaround, but as it involved deleting some files and restarting services through the shell, I do not feel comfortable in sharing it as a works-for-all solutions, and definitelly not one to "just try".

Anyway, it worked for me, after the TAC analysed the troubleshooting output from the Firepower. I can only recommend to open a TAC, and also include a screenshot right away. The more incidents are logged, the faster should a corrected software version come out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card