cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pFsense on Cisco ASA 5505

lukazabav
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco ASA 5505 firewall on wich I wanted to install pfsense. First problem I had was to small CF(128MB) so I went and bought CF with 8GB of space. I used old computer to install pfsense on this CF, and I then noticed that pfsense is using ZFS file system (and not FAT16 as Cisco).

I'm still doing research if I can change the file system format of pfsense, but I would like to know if is it possible to change file system of Cisco ASA (so it could read other file systems).

Thanks for the answer.

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot install any non-Cisco image on ASA hardware.

bradf1405
Level 1
Level 1

Oh yes you can install/run pfSense on Cisco ASA 55xx routers!
I have installed pfSense on 2x Cisco ASA5525 and 3x Cisco ASA5545 including adding a new 120GB SSD with pfSense on it.  pfSense runs fantastically without any problems, with one exception - pfS remaps the RJ45 Internet numbers in reverse that Cisco does, which is not a problem at all, once you know.
I currently attempting to load pfSense on a Cisco ASA 5510 which I initially have a problem, but I feel I will be successful.  I will keep you posted.

Were you able to get pFsense installed on the 5510? 

The reason I ask is that I have a 5505 that has nothing to do now and I would love to put pFsense on it and give it a purpose again. 

Can you include some details about how you install the pfSense on Cisco ASA5525, I have a stack of them sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I would like to get them loaded with pfSense if possible.

Thanks!

I used the internal VGA pin header with Dupont cable to "reuse" 5525. Connected VGA display, keyboard + USB key, gained an access to BIOS and used standard SATA SSD to install opnsense... I preserved the original IOS image for possible home lab use. The HW is quite outdated, but still usable.

KerberosVE
Level 1
Level 1

some has a guide to how to install in the 5506-x hardware, i dont want losse the hardware.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card