cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 ethernet1 line protocol is down

ticketone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've a problem with a pix 501. The ethernet 1 port probabily have an hardware problem, because even if I put a cable in one of the four interface the link is always down. I've upgrade the unit to firmware 6.3(5) version but without result. How can I debug the hardware to know it there is a fault with ethernet1? In the monitor I receive the

"Ethernet auto negotiation timed out.

Ethernet port 1 could not be initialized"

Thanx

5 Replies 5

bigchoice75
Level 1
Level 1

what are you plugging into e1? pc, switch etc..? what happens when you hardcode e1 and connected device with same speed/duplex?

does link come up?

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

A pix 501 has 5 rj45 ports - the outside ethernet interface, and the 4 port switch. The inside ethernet port is hard wired into the switch backplane.

ethernet 1 is the inside port. it is physically inaccessible. So, plugging a cable into any of the 4 switch ports should not help.

on a show config - what does it say for the interface lines?

When I Plug a cable in any of the 4 switch RJ45 port nothing happens. The sh int tell me "link protocol is down" and the led is off. I'll set a pc port to 100full (instead of auto) but nothing happens. I'll try straight and cross cable.

If I try the same pc with other pix, it's work all ok.

Sh int will only show the eth 0 and 1 interfaces, not the 4 switch ports. But eth 1 is hardwired into the switch. It sounds like the switch part of the firewall might be broken. Open a TAC case with cisco if it is under a support contract

did you hardcode the e1 port when you set pc to 100full?

command = int e1 100full

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card