cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 506E with 2 default routes

vdalehubbard
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sort of in a weird situation. We swiched our ISP's because of poor service and got hooked up with 2 DSL lines with our new ISP. They said the PIX that I have can do two lines (2 default routes), I didn't think I could at the time because I only have 2 ports (one in and one out). Sure enough, I don't believe this can work. I just wanted to ask and see if this is possible with the 506E or not, to reassure myself. Thanks

6 Replies 6

erickflamenco
Level 1
Level 1

according to table 2-6 on

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080172786.html#wp1113411

you can configure a second (logical) interface to accomplish this.

Erick

States on that table:

Logical Interfaces (Not Supported)

Actually, the 506E supports 2 logical interfaces. The 501 is the only platform the does not support logical interfaces.

With that said however, I don't see how creating logical interfaces would be of much help in this case. You are still limited on the PIX to one default route. The exception to this rule is with OSPF using a feature called Equal Cost Multi-Path (ECMP), With ECMP, you can configure the upstream routers (up to 3) to send a default route to the PIX via OSPF. The PIX will load-balance outbound packets between the paths it knows about.

I don't know what your topology looks like but the above option is the only way I know to make this work as you want it to.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Ya. scott is right.. whenever u think of load balancing or backup routing on PIX, the only thing that strikes is to run OSPF.. this is the only/best option available. i had done it before, and it worked well (backup routing)...

Raj

Does anybody know a link or something to set up OSPF? I went looking but couldn't find anything. Thanks

Here is the configuration PDF link for configuring OSPF on the PIX OS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080172786.html#wp1112836

Hope this helps.

Christopher M. Heffner, CCIE 8211, CCSI 98760

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card