cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515 R Routing Problem - Two web servers

jshank
Level 1
Level 1

I have two web servers sitting on my DMZ. Both have 10.1.1.x addresses translated to global IP's. One is a Notes Web Server, the other IIS 5.0. Both servers are accessable from the outside by going to their respective URL and/or IP address. However, there is the need to provide a link from the Notes webserver to the IIS web server. This link, which works on the internal network, does not work when on the outside network. The link is hard coded to the 10.1.1.x address and the IIS server isn't replying to the origin system. Is this a PIX configuration issue and if so, how can it be corrected? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

so you have a webpage on 1 server with a link to a page on the other server. correct ?

Do you use an internal ip address to setup this link ?

Or do you use a DNS name ?

I would suggest to try to use the outside dns name for this.

It was the internal IP address. I have read the other responses as well (thank you all) and feel like kicking myself in the butt over this one. Of course the internal IP address isn't going to reply. We have a DNS name for one web server, only IP for the other. I'm going to switch over to external IP and test as this should resolve the issue. Again, thanks for the replies.

bdube
Level 2
Level 2

Gilles is right with his answer. You cannot hardcoded a private IP address within your web page and hope external clients access it with the internal address.

You should use the public host name, not the public IP address, within web page.

Benoit

Thise solution will work for external conenctions, but if a host from the internal network tries the same link, you may have problems.

swb
Level 1
Level 1

Use the ALIAS command to resolve this issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card