Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E (7.0.1) hardware health monitoring

ph0enix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of my clients is using a PIX515E - their outside interface shutsdown every night and effectively they have no internet until they reset the equipment again. The outside NIC is plugged in directly to a cable modem. My suspicion is that the cable modem is screwing up and needs to be reset more than the firewall does. I would like to monitor/log the NIC events to be sure that the hardware is ok though. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

The way to log traffic to monitor the performance is using a syslog server. For this, we need to configure the PIX to send the syslog messages to the syslog server. The syslog server can be any free software like Kiwi Syslog Daemon.The commands for this action should be entered in configuration mode:

logg on

logg trap debugging

logg host inside (internal ip address of the server).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ivillegas
Level 6
Level 6

The way to log traffic to monitor the performance is using a syslog server. For this, we need to configure the PIX to send the syslog messages to the syslog server. The syslog server can be any free software like Kiwi Syslog Daemon.The commands for this action should be entered in configuration mode:

logg on

logg trap debugging

logg host inside (internal ip address of the server).

Thanks! ...I had already done all that and didn't see any indication of a hardware problem in the logs ...but guess what - I told the client to put the cable modem on a UPS so that it doesn't go out if there is a power spike or a brief outage and the firewall hasn't gone down in over a week ...the simple things :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card