cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E & Remote Sittes

m1c
Level 1
Level 1

I need to set up Site to Site VPN's between our central PIX 515E & 3-4 remote sites.

What kind of hardware is necessary to get by at the remote sites to get them connected? Is a router like the 1721 or 2xxx series with the firewall feature set sufficient to get the enpoints connected securely? Or do I really need a PIX on each end?

I could probably do either, but what are the tradeoffs?

1 Reply 1

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

hi m1c,

you can have site to site tunnel from PIX to many cisco hardware like router, pix, vpn concentrators, ISA, checkpoint etc.... depending on ur budget you can have any of these at the remote sites...

you will anyway have a router which will terminate the WAN circuit.. make sure that router has enough flash/DRAM to accomodate an IPSEC image.. in this case, you can have the IPSEC directly terminating on the router... this isnt very secure.. there can be huge broadcasts, and other unnecessary traffic which can hit ur LAN PCs.. If you want the router to do advanced security features, try buying a decent one like 2600..

If you want added security for ur LAN, have a PIX and block off all unnecessary data traffic coming to ur LAN.. have the IPSEC terminated on the PIX in this case..

hope this helps.. let us know if u need more inputs on this..

Raj

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card