cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 525 6.3.4 replacement with ASA 5550 8.2

David Niemann
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to take the 6.3.4 config and load it onto the ASA assuming I replace the appropriate interfaces and names in the config? Will it translate the config appropriately or will there be some interim release I need to go through before 8.x?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David,

I have not done an upgrade from 6.x directly to 8.x so I cannot tell you for sure, but I think that you should move to 7.x first and then 8.x

The configuration gets migrated to 7.x code and then the configuration can be migrated to 8.x

Between 6.x and 8.x there are a lot of major changes so you want to make sure you backup your configuration before the upgrade in case anything happens and also make sure you go through the release notes of 8.2

An important note is that you might require more memory to support the new code.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

View solution in original post

Hello,

Just to add on to the documentation provided by Federico, you can find the PIX to ASA Migration Tool available for download here:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=275993766&flowid=21585&softwareid=280786991&release=1.0&rellifecycle=&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=all

Hope that helps.

-Mike

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

David,

I have not done an upgrade from 6.x directly to 8.x so I cannot tell you for sure, but I think that you should move to 7.x first and then 8.x

The configuration gets migrated to 7.x code and then the configuration can be migrated to 8.x

Between 6.x and 8.x there are a lot of major changes so you want to make sure you backup your configuration before the upgrade in case anything happens and also make sure you go through the release notes of 8.2

An important note is that you might require more memory to support the new code.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

Does the Pix2ASA conversion tool still exist? I see it mentioned in documentation, but can't find it anywhere.

Hello,

Just to add on to the documentation provided by Federico, you can find the PIX to ASA Migration Tool available for download here:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=275993766&flowid=21585&softwareid=280786991&release=1.0&rellifecycle=&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=all

Hope that helps.

-Mike

I think I'm going with the manual process as the configuration isn't too complex.  Thanks for all the info everyone!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card