Helpful
Replies

PIX 525 show interface output

gsatchivi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What does this output mean when I do show int on a pix 525:

input queue (curr/max blocks): hardware (128/128) software (0/4)

output queue (curr/max blocks): hardware (0/11) software (0/10)

I understand that this refers to the currently used and maximum available input and output queues, but what is hardware 128/128. Does it mean that 128 out 128 blocks are being used? For obvious reasons I hope my interpretation is not correct.

Thanks for any help.

1 Reply 1

tvanginneken
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm not quite sure yet what the numbers mean. But I found this on the cisco website:

"When a packet first enters an interface, it is placed in the input hardware queue. If the input hardware queue is full, the packet is placed in the input software queue. The packet is passed from its input queue up to the PIX OS and placed in a 1550-byte block (or in a 16384-byte block on 66 MHz Gigabit Ethernet interfaces). The PIX then determines the output interface for the packet and places the packet in the appropriate hardware queue. If the hardware queue is full, the packet is placed in the output software queue. If the maximum blocks in either of the software queues are large, then the interface is being overrun. For example, if 200 Mbps are coming into the PIX and all going out a single 100 Mbps interface, the output software queue will indicate high numbers on the outbound interface, indicating that the interface cannot handle the traffic volume. If you are experiencing this situation, you should consider upgrading to a faster interface."

Kind Regards,

Tom

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card