cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 6.3(3) blocks traffic - easy DOS attack

jlacis
Level 1
Level 1

If I try to scan a server with <172.16.1.5> using the tool NMAP with faked IP source address :

"nmap -sF -S 10.1.1.1 -e alb0 172.16.1.5" where

-sF (FIN scan, could be other scans also)

-S 10.1.1.1 (faked source)

-e alb0 (interface, usually eth0)

172.16.1.5 (victim)

The PIX silently blocks any traffic from 10.1.1.1 to 172.16.1.5 for about half an hour !!! The result is that anybody with NMAP can block traffic from the real IP address (fake source in NMAP syntax) to the server IP address. This could be used to make a DOS attack.

PIX does not LOG a single word about attack or traffic_blocking !?

5 Replies 5

a_williams
Level 1
Level 1

The default setting for blocking on the 4.1 sensor is 30 minutes. You can easily change this under the Configuration/Blocking/Blocking Properties menu. Once configured, add the blocking field to your IEV. This will give you the ability to see on the IDS if a blocking action has taken place.

I am talking about PIX blocking traffic. PIX is not in any way configured to work together with IDS sensor. This behaviour is only PIX related. PIX version 6.3(3).

My mistake, just assumed that it was IDS related on this forum.

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you don't get an answer here on the IDS Forum then I would suggest trying the Firewall Forum:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_messages%26mode%3Dnew%26location%3D.ee6e1fa

jlacis
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to say but this turned out to be our fault. PIX was not blocking traffic, it was done by Symantec Firewall on a PC. Nothing to do with PIX. Issue is solved.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card