Views
Helpful
Replies

pix load balancing

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Professionals,

I have pix 515E installed and its outside interface connected to 2 adsl routers by forming single segment using hub.

PIX outside : 10.10.10.1

adsl 1 eth0 : 10.10.10.2

adsl 2 eth0 : 10.10.10.3

Pls let me know that is it possible in firewall to configure 2 different default routes one each for the 2 adsl routers.

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.2

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.3

In cisco routers it is possible to load blance bet both because the AD is same (Equal cost LB).

Please help me to solve this issue. I have to give the client the solution as early as possible.

Thanks in advance

Swamy

7 Replies 7

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Swamy

You cannot do static load balancing in PIX... you cannot have more than one default route or have multiple routes with different metrics.. for each network, u can have only one route....

you can think of running ospf on the three components and injecting equal metric defaults onto the pix.. by this way, you can force the pix to see 2 default routes.. try this and let us know..

Raj

Dear Raja,

Thanks for your info.

we cann't run any routing protocols because they are going to use 2 numbers of adsl modems for the internet access. so I hope that only pix 515E supports ospf to run.is there any other alternative for load balancing ?

Regards,

swamy

Hi Swamy

no other go in pix.. you cannot have more than one static route on pix nor configure load balancing...

Raja

Upgrade to version 7 software. It supports up to 3 default routes.

Mr.Donlon,

Thanks for your tech support. I would ask the customer to upgrade the pix 6.3(4) to 7.0.

Aslo I want to know that Is there ay memory,flash upgrade alogwith 7.0 software.

Let me know pix 506E support 7.0 software ver.

Thanks

swamy

Hi,

PIX 501/506E dont support PIX 7.0 image.

Platforms Supported

• Cisco PIX 515 Security Appliance

• Cisco PIX 515E Security Appliance

• Cisco PIX 525 Security Appliance

• Cisco PIX 535 Security Appliance

The upgrade requirements for 515E for PIX 7.0 are :

• 64 MB on Restricted models

• 128 MB Unrestricted, Failover, and Failover-Active/Active models

Minimum Flash Memory

• 16 MB

Here is the link to check system requirememts for PIX 7.0 on other PIX models:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet0900aecd80225ae1.html

regards

aashish C

Mr.Ashish,

Thanks lot for your technical information.

swamy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card