Views
Helpful
Replies

prepare asa config to be used at next reboot

erwee1973
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For a customer I have to move the ASA 5505 firewall to a new internet connection. I have modified the config in a notepad textfile and want to put it on flash or so, so that it will be loaded at next reboot. I believe this is possible but does anyone know how to do this?

Best regards,

Ralph Willemsen

Arnhem, Netherlands

3 Replies 3

eddie.harmoush
Level 1
Level 1

Use any method to copy the file to the ASA's flash (SCP, TFTP, etc).  Once the file exists, you have two options:

(1) Set the new file as the config file to use on boot up using the boot config command (more details are in Ralph Willemsen's link).  However, this file will now always be used as the new "startup-configuration". So issuing configuration changes and then write memory will write to your new configuration file.  And using copy running-config startup-config will not work (as it is saving the running-config to a file called startup-config as opposed to whatever file you have set as your boot config file.

(2) Once the file is copied, issue a write erase to clear out the current startup-config and then issue copy flash:/myfile.txt startup-config to copy your file's contents into the startup-config.  Now at next reboot, it will be the "new" config you intend to use.  (just make sure you don't save the config before you reboot )

Personally, I suggest option 2.  Hope this helps.

Hello and thank you. Ralph Willemsen is my name

I found the link a while later and figured out how to do it. Thank you

for your efforts

Kind regards,

Ralph

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card