Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about PAT on ASA

Hello all,

We currently have a set up where we're natting any and all networks to a range of public IP addresses.  We currently have a /24 of public IP space in which 123 of these addresses are used for dynamic NAT.  I want to reserve some of these addresses by creating a network object for each internal network that needs access to the Internet and then dynamically NAT it to a single IP of our public space.  We currently have around 15 internal networks so we could save a lot of public addresses with this solution.  I have tested it and it seems to work; however, my test was in a very small lab environment.  My question is will this type of set up have any drawbacks in a real production environment?  Most of our networks are either a /24, /23, /22, and we have a single /21 network.  Your feedback is valuable to this scenario.  Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Terence

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Akshay Rastogi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Terence,

This would work for sure in production as well. However if the internal network is big and makes lot of connections then  use pat-pool or range of mapped ip for the internal network so that internal network doesn't run out of mapped ip/port(pat-pool exhaust).

please use to link below to implement the same :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/nat_objects.html#pgfId-1455942

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

Remember to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Akshay Rastogi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Terence,

This would work for sure in production as well. However if the internal network is big and makes lot of connections then  use pat-pool or range of mapped ip for the internal network so that internal network doesn't run out of mapped ip/port(pat-pool exhaust).

please use to link below to implement the same :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/asa_90_cli_config/nat_objects.html#pgfId-1455942

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Akshay Rastogi

Remember to rate helpful posts.

Thanks for your response Akshay,

It seem to test very well in my lab environment so I'm thinking of adding a PAT pool range for each internal network if I go forward with this.  Thanks again!

Regards,

Terence

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card