Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius Server key not encrypting

Jennercramer
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings! 

I am very new to NX-OS, and it has been an uphill battle getting everything working. My current issue is that I cannot get my aaa shared keys to encrypt. They are set on level 7 but when I perform a show run, it shows in clear text on most of the switches. On one switch (identical configuration for now) it has encrypted, but cannot get the others to follow in its footsteps. Does anyone have any advice on what the issue might be? 

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

never seen this before 

here is the example :

Configuring Global Preshared Keys

You can configure preshared keys at the global level for all servers used by the Nexus 5000 Series switch. A preshared key is a shared secret text string between the Nexus 5000 Series switch and the RADIUS server hosts.

To configure global preshared keys, obtain the preshared key values for the remote RADIUS servers and perform this task:

:

Command
Purpose

Step 1

switch# configure terminal

Enters configuration mode.

Step 2

switch(config)# radius-server key [ 0 | 7 ] key-value

Specifies a preshared key for all RADIUS servers. You can specify a clear text (0) or encrypted (7) preshared key. The default format is clear text. The maximum length is 63 characters.

By default, no preshared key is configured.

Step 3

switch(config)# exit

Exits configuration mode.

Step 4

switch# show radius-server

(Optional) Displays the RADIUS server configuration.

Note The preshared keys are saved in encrypted form in the running configuration. Use the show running-config command to display the encrypted preshared keys.

Step 5

switch# copy running-config startup-config

(Optional) Copies the running configuration to the startup configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Try adding 

service password-encryption

On NX-OS it is actually a feature command, not a service command. The service command applies to IOS devices.

N7K(config)# feature password encryption ?
  aes  Encrypt using AES encryption standard

service password-encryption

what is the error you getting, have added feature ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card