Views
Helpful
Replies

Regular Translation Creation Failed for icmp - Millions

jameswatson33
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I am a security analyst trying to tame the log traffic from our firewall (2 FTD 4140 + FMC). I have had a CCNA in the past but primarily worked in systems so I am familiar with networking protocols and concepts but inexperienced at troubleshooting. So I was hopeful that someone could point me in the right direction regarding something I'm seeing in our logs before I take it to our networking team.

I'm getting about 1.5M of the following messages daily

regular translation creation failed for icmp src INSIDE:10.192.0.204 dst OUTSIDE:173.194.219.94 (type 3, code 3)

They are all from different src/dst addresses and seem to correspond to otherwise normal translation during internet access. I did a bit of googling and search of this forum but did not find anything immediately helpful. The messages are not linked to any specific support issues, but I would like to eliminate/suppress them if possible in the interests of event log management.

Any suggestions? Or additional information I can provide?

1 Reply 1

#Mat
Level 6
Level 6

Hi jameswatson33, if this traffic is safe, try with enable icmp inspection.

From CLI do configure inspection ICMP enable

Regards.-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card