cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reimage FPR1010-NGFW-K9 to ASA

TRENT WAITE
Level 1
Level 1

As there is a significant back order for the FPR1010-ASA-K9 I was asked about the FPR1010-NGFW-K9, and whether we could simply re-image to ASA OS. I would normally think yes, but the path Cisco is adopting as of late I am hesitant to say this is a certainty. 

So I have to ask if there is anyone that has specifically done this or is familiar enough with these part #s that can say whether I can move from NGFW to ASA OS. Is the part #s simply differentiated 100% by what was loading at factory, or is there any other caveat I need to be aware of. 

3 Replies 3

@TRENT WAITE yes you can reimage, here is the guide.

You'll obviously need a support contract in order to download the ASA image for the device.

Cisco document is clear on this .The hardware can run either FTD software or ASA software. Switching between FTD and ASA requires you to reimage the device. Cisco ASA and Firepower Threat Defense Reimage Guide 

What I know for sure Is once you have install ASA code on this unit. you need ASA Smart License on FXOS Firepower Appliances if no internet access you can do it from Offline Management 

This one Here for 3DES for you ASA license 

please do not forget to rate.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can definitely reimage as other have mentioned. I had a couple of customers do the same for the reason you cited.

You do need the ASA license (zero cost). The SKU can be ordered separately and deposited in your Smart account.

For completeness, your distributor should also request the support contract associated with the hardware be modified to be the ASA-based one and not FTD. Tat will fix potential software entitlement issues as well as allow you to get the 3DES-AES license via self-service.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card