cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a DMZ on an ASA with a unique external IP, question.....

btramer29
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5506 which currently has an outside interface configured with one of our external IP's, let's just call it:  192.168.0.10/24

I want to configure another interface for our DMZ, using another one of our external IP's, say:  192.168.0.11/24

Well, I'm getting an error about overlap, so I'm assuming something I'm doing is fundamentally wrong (which is fine I'm new to this).  

Can someone explain how you would normally configure this, that is to have the "outside" interface and "DMZ" interface both have their own unique external IP's (from the same block)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can't use the same subnet on different interfaces.  If you want public IP address space in your DMZ, then you'll need to ask your ISP for an extra block and to route that via the IP address you have assigned to your ASA.

Otherwise you'll need to use a private IP address block on your DMZ and to NAT through to those IP addresses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can't use the same subnet on different interfaces.  If you want public IP address space in your DMZ, then you'll need to ask your ISP for an extra block and to route that via the IP address you have assigned to your ASA.

Otherwise you'll need to use a private IP address block on your DMZ and to NAT through to those IP addresses.

Ok thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know (and makes sense now that I think about it).

I dont quite understand what you are doing, if you have a public address range as you say call it

192.168.0.0/24, then say inside is 10.0.0.0/24 and DMZ is 172.16.0.0/24, then you can nat devices on both networks to the public address space

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card