Views
Helpful
Replies

Show Connections - No Flags?

grizzlyfireguy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have an old Cisco PIX (I know, out of support, replacing later this year) - and was wondering if anyone would know why when I type in the option "show conn", some connections come back with no flags?

TCP out xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:443 in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:7102 idle 0:01:12 Bytes 7543 flags UIO
UDP out xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:12001 in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:12001 idle 0:01:24 flags -

You see above with flags UIO, but then next one has no flags at all. I am having an issue connecting with a remote server, and I'm not sure but I think this may be one of the reasons?

Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated. I have a PIX 506E 6.3(3).

thanks!

Richard

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shrikant Sundaresh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Richard,

TCP connections have a list of Flags associated with them, since they can be in various stages of a connection.

The second connection is a UDP connection and therefore does not have any flags associated with it.

-Shrikant

P.S.: Please mark the question resolved, if it has been answered. Do rate helpful posts. Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

grizzlyfireguy
Level 1
Level 1

It should be noted also that I'm not getting any bytes showing either if you compare the TCP to the UDP above.

Shrikant Sundaresh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Richard,

TCP connections have a list of Flags associated with them, since they can be in various stages of a connection.

The second connection is a UDP connection and therefore does not have any flags associated with it.

-Shrikant

P.S.: Please mark the question resolved, if it has been answered. Do rate helpful posts. Thanks.

Thanks so much! I hope there's no such think as a silly question!

Hi Richard,

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a silly question.

There are actually some flags you may see on a UDP connection though.

D - DNS connection

t,T - SIP connection (t indicates timeout is set to 1 minute; T indicates there is a user defined timeout).

However the usual flags you see beside TCP connections don't apply to UDP connections.

Happy to help.

-Shrikant

Hi Shrikant,

Should I be concerned if I do not see any flags at all? No bytes as well?

Hi Richard,

To the best of my knowledge, UDP connections won't show bytes transferred. And there is no concern if there are no flags. Most UDP connections (other than DNS and SIP) will not have any flags associated with them.

-Shrikant

Hi Team, 

Just updating, on ASA deployments with dual-imaged SFR modules, UDP connections can also have a X flag, indicating that is 'inspected by service module'.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card