Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-Site VPN with Overlapping Subnets

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have two sites that need to connect to each other using ASA's and site-to-site VPN.  Problem is both site LAN's have same LAN subnet and neither is in a position to re-IP right now.  I've read that Sonicwalls have an "Apply NAT Policies" feature on them, and I'm wondering if the ASA has anything similar I can do to get around this problem.  Below is the link for reference.

https://www.sonicwall.com/en-us/support/knowledge-base/170515155805172

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So you would need to select a subnet to use.  Then you will need to identify the servers or services the remote side are going to access on your side and assign a IP from the subnet you chose to those services.  Lets say the remote side needs to access a file server and a web server on your side.  You would configure the following.  For this example I will use 10.10.10.0/24 as your local subnet and the remote subnet (other side of the VPN) and 11.11.11.0/24 as the subnet to be used to NAT the services.

object network FILE_SERVER

host 10.10.10.100

object network WEB_SERVER

host 10.10.10.110

object network FILE_SERVER_NAT-IP

object network WEB_SERVER_NAT-IP

object network REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET

nat (inside,outside) source static FILE_SERVER FILE_SERVER_NAT-IP destination static REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET

nat (inside,outside) source static WEB_SERVER WEB_SERVER_NAT-IP destination static REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET

Now once this is configure you will need to add 11.11.11.100 and 11.11.11.110 as the source in your site to site VPN crypto ACL, this will also need to be added to the remote side of the VPN as the remote network (destination in the crypto ACL).  Now the users at the remote side will need to access these services using the NATed IPs of 11.11.11.100 and 11.11.11.110.  If they are using URLs to access these services, then the DNS A records will need to reflect these IPs.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

What you can do is select an IP subnet that is not in use in either of your networks and then NAT your local LAN to that subnet and use that subnet when communicating to the remote site.

Will you be accessing servers/resources at the remote site or will the remote site access servers / resources on the local site?  Depending on the answer to this question will determine how NAT is configured.

--

Hi Marius,

Thanks for your reply.  The remote side will be accessing servers and services that live on my end.

If you could write up an example config for me that would be great.

So you would need to select a subnet to use.  Then you will need to identify the servers or services the remote side are going to access on your side and assign a IP from the subnet you chose to those services.  Lets say the remote side needs to access a file server and a web server on your side.  You would configure the following.  For this example I will use 10.10.10.0/24 as your local subnet and the remote subnet (other side of the VPN) and 11.11.11.0/24 as the subnet to be used to NAT the services.

object network FILE_SERVER

host 10.10.10.100

object network WEB_SERVER

host 10.10.10.110

object network FILE_SERVER_NAT-IP

object network WEB_SERVER_NAT-IP

object network REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET

nat (inside,outside) source static FILE_SERVER FILE_SERVER_NAT-IP destination static REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET

nat (inside,outside) source static WEB_SERVER WEB_SERVER_NAT-IP destination static REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET

Now once this is configure you will need to add 11.11.11.100 and 11.11.11.110 as the source in your site to site VPN crypto ACL, this will also need to be added to the remote side of the VPN as the remote network (destination in the crypto ACL).  Now the users at the remote side will need to access these services using the NATed IPs of 11.11.11.100 and 11.11.11.110.  If they are using URLs to access these services, then the DNS A records will need to reflect these IPs.

--

Hi Marius,

Doesn't that essentally just make the servers reachable publically outside of the VPN tunnel since 11.11.11.x would be a public subnet?

Nevermind my above comment.  I get it now.

Let me test this out and I will report back.

You are forgetting to take into account the destination address.  The 11.11.11.x IP can be whatever you want it to be.  public IP, ASA interface IP (but then you need to use the interface keyword and not an object). Then all traffic going towards the specified destination IP or subnet will be translated to the IP you specify...in this example 11.11.11.x.  Then you need to specify 11.11.11.x in the crypto ACL so that it is encrypted and sent through the VPN.

--

please correct me if I am wrong. Since that you are not using the interface command, I guess you are missing the NETWORK value for REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET, I just ran the command and got the following error.

ASA(config)# nat (inside,outside) source static FILE_SERVER FILE_SERVER_NAT-IP destination static REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET
ERROR: REMOTE_VPN_SUBNET doesn't match an existing object or object-group
ASA(config)#

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card