Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP traps event based only?

swain9063058
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to ask or not, but my question is.... do SNMP traps work purely on events/status changes, or can a SNMP trap be sent periodically to report the current status of a particular interface?

e.g. can the switch send a trap for FastEthernet port 4, whether it be Up or Down? SNMP, Other Network Security Topics

For context, i would like to be able to check whether an interface is up or down, however the monitoring system would be connected to a SPAN port so is unable to query the switch.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Traps are event based only , for monitoring interface status you (or network manager software) just use the correct MIB and particular OID and or query that at regular intervals.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the port go up and down then trap will be sent with the below config ;

snmp trap link-status

e.g. can the switch send a trap for FastEthernet port 4, whether it be Up or Down? SNMP, Other Network Security Topics

you need to use snmp to query this information. or setup a EEM script to send this information to log server regularly.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card