Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Password of FirePOWER module in ASA

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Guys, 

I cannot seem to find any guide anywhere but how do you change the 'admin' password NOT the registration password for the ASA SFR Module?

7 Replies 7

Hi LJ,

According to the config. guide, this is the procedure for resetting the admin password:

Reset the Password

If you forget the password for the admin user, another user with CLI Configuration permissions can log in and change the password.

If there are no other users with the required permissions, you can reset the admin password from the ASA. The default password differs based on software release; see Defaults for ASA FirePOWER.

Before You Begin
  • In multiple context mode, perform this procedure in the system execution space.

• The password-reset option on the ASA hw-module and sw-module commands does not work with ASA FirePOWER.

Procedure
Reset the module password for the user admin to the default:

session {1 | sfr} do password-reset

Use 1 for a hardware module, sfr for a software module.

Link: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa94/config-guides/cli/firewall/asa-94-firewall-config/access-sfr.html#task_A9DDA060A684416491E028387230457C

Regards,

Thomas

This command doesnt work.

See the documentation:

The password-reset option on the ASA hw-module and sw-module commands does not work with ASA
FirePOWER

I have verified this command works, and resets the SFR module admin password back to Admin123

session sfr do password-reset

SFR version 6.1.0
ASA version 9.6.2.7

Confirm for: Cisco ASA 5525
SFR: 6.5.0.4

ASA: 9.14.1
Login into ASA CLI, enter: session sfr do password-reset

next: session sfr console

Login in with admin/Admin123

In sfr console enter: configure

next: password

Change password to a new one.

5516# session sfr do password-reset
Invalid do command password-reset
5516#

I can login to the module with another user but changing the password of admin prompts for existing password.

> configure user password admin
Enter current password:

Module is running 6.6.1.

I needed this today    thanks buddy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card