Views
Helpful
Replies

Stable OS for Cisco ASA 5510

lili Vachon
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Which is the most stable version of operating system for Cisco ASA 5510. Let me know operating system version and asdm version. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

For the upgrade from ASA 8.0.2 , I would recommend this path for you:-

ASA 8.0.2 >> 8.2.5 >> 8.4.7

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Vibhor Amrodia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As far as the ASDM is concerned , I would recommend using the latest ASDM version available i.e. 7.3.1.101

For the ASA code , if you check the Cisco Website , you would see the suggested Stable releases recommended by Cisco:-

It depends on your current IOS on the ASA device and you can upgrade accordingly.
Thanks and Regards,
Vibhor Amrodia

Dear Vibhor,

Thank you for the quick response. Currently we are using 8.0 (2) . What Shall be the process if want to upgrade from 8.0 (2) to 8.4(2) . Is 8.4(2) stable? Waiting for your response. Thank you.

Hi,

For the upgrade from ASA 8.0.2 , I would recommend this path for you:-

ASA 8.0.2 >> 8.2.5 >> 8.4.7

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

:)

Hello Vibhor,

Thank you for the reply.

If you have 8.0(2) you very likely have an old 5510 with only 256 MB of memory. To run software >8.2, you need to upgrade the RAM to 1 GB. Reference.

If you upgrade to anything after 8.2(x), the  NAT syntax changes significantly and that can be a challenge for someone without much experience or understanding of the details of their configuration and knowledge of the changes. This has been written about extensively here and elsewhere so I won't repeat the details.

The most stable releases for an ASA 5510 currently would be 8.2(5) (use if you do not have the memory upgrade or care up upgrade to new NAT syntax), 8.4(7) or 9.0(2). Follow the links Vibhor provided to see those release have the "gold star" next to them in the download page.

:)

Thank you for the reply.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card