cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Time range confusion ASA 5510/ASDM

Jordan Rudess
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm new to an ASA 5510 running 8.4(3) and am trying to figure out something reagrding time ranges in ASDM. I simply want to allow a single port during business hours only (I'm not concerned about open sessions needing to be closed). So as an example I add a rule something like:

(RULE1 on the internal interface) SRC=INTERNAL DEST=ANY SERVICE=RDP ACTION=PERMIT with a time range set for weekdays 8:00-16:59. I did a test after 5pm on a weekday and was still allowed to do RDP to a server (from INTERNAL), and after using the packet trace tool saw it was still passing through due to a rule a couple lines down (rule 4) that allowed a port range that happened to include port 3389. So my question is if I specify an "allowed" time range and someone attempts access outside that time range, why doesn't it drop it right there? I guess I'm assuming that anything outside the "allowed" time range would be dropped but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm also assuming the rule base is processed top to bottom. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Jordan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

llamaw0rksE
Level 1
Level 1

So its an ACL rules issue.

(1) keep allow rule for time period as youve allowed.

(2) Insert a rule right after this

Deny all on 3389.

At this point the packet will be dropped.

Give it a test and see what happens

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

llamaw0rksE
Level 1
Level 1

So its an ACL rules issue.

(1) keep allow rule for time period as youve allowed.

(2) Insert a rule right after this

Deny all on 3389.

At this point the packet will be dropped.

Give it a test and see what happens

Thanks so much that solved the problem!

Thanks,

Jordan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card