cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unmatched ASA traffic is showing up in the Firepower logs

bascheew
Level 1
Level 1

We have a service policy that has a "Do not match" ACL to exempt certain traffic.  This ACL is followed by a Match ACL for all other traffic.  When I test matching traffic on the ASA by using "show service-policy flow..." command I can confirm that the excluded traffic does not match the service policy and other traffic does (see below)

However when I look at the logs on the Firepower, I see the unmatched traffic in the Connection Events log.  If the traffic is excluded by the Service Policy, shouldn't that traffic bypass the Firepower?  Why would I still see it in the connection logs?

Matched traffic:

ASA5516# show service-policy flow ip host 206.15.254.1 host 10.25.10.3
Global policy:
  Service-policy: global_policy
    Class-map: Firepower
      Match: access-list global_mpc
        Access rule: permit ip any any
      Action:
        Output flow:  sfr fail-open
    Class-map: class-default
      Match: any
      Action:

Unmatched traffic:

ASA5516# show service-policy flow ip host 206.15.130.13 host 10.25.70.3
Global policy:
  Service-policy: global_policy
    Class-map: class-default
      Match: any
      Action:

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

bascheew
Level 1
Level 1

I should add, that the traffic that I'm seeing show up in Firepower is SIP traffic.  The "Do not match" ACLs on the service policy are for all IP traffic to and from a group of IPs, so I don't know why SIP traffic would be matching.

I am having a very similar issue. About to open a TAC case. Did you get it resolved?

No, that traffic is still showing up in the Firepower logs.  Please let me know what the TAC says.  Thanks! 

Nathan Gagne
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure if you ever got this resolved, but I came across the same thing and found your post. I'm assuming you added an ACE to the ACL used by the class-map, and were surprised when the Connnection Events in SFR still showed that traffic?

What I found was that you had to do a 'clear conn' to force the flows to use the new settings.  This is somewhat alluded to here:

• When you make service policy changes to the configuration, all new connections use the new service policy. Existing connections continue to use the policy that was configured at the time of the connection establishment. show command output will not include data about the old connections.

Once I did a 'clear conn', I stopped seeing that traffic in the CE.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card