Views
Helpful
Replies

update 4235 to IPS

paltel
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I like to update ids 4235 running with 4.1 to ips ver 5.0.

what are the components are needed for the update?

11 Replies 11

gabelar
Level 1
Level 1

You should only need to addto a four interface NIC card. This will give you the ability to deploy interface pairs for IPS.

hi,

i have the same problem i already have ids 4235 running ver 4.1 and i try to upgrade it to ips ver 5

with this file (IPS-K9-maj-5.0-1-S149.rpm.pkg)

i already add 4 port NIC but when i try to upgrade i got this error incomptable hardware do u know what is the problem

regards,

ahmed

Can you copy and paste the exact error you are seeing. It may or maynot be related to the 4FE card.

The software may be telling you the box itself is not an official support Cisco IDS-4235. This could happen if parts were replace on the sensor, or there was a mistake during manufacturing.

If it does turn out to specifically be the 4FE card, then we have heard of situations where a 4FE card was used that was not specifically purchased as the IDS-4FE-INT= Cisco part number.

(Another Cisco 4FE card was purchased that was designed for a different product line placed in a IDS-4235 and was working with 4.1. But when upgrading to 5.0 it is detected that the card is not specifically the IDS-4FE-INT= part number.)

We had to become more stringent on the supported cards because of the change in naming conventions that took place in 5.0 (using terms like Ethernet0/1, FastEthernet1/0, GigabitEthernet2/0 etc.. instead of generic terms like int0,int1, etc..)

hi,

thanks for reply

this the exact o/p i got

export@cisco.com.

sensor#

sensor# conf t

sensor(config)# up ftp://172.20.70.1/ips-k9-maj-5.0-1-s149.rpm.pkg

User: test

Password: ********

Warning: Executing this command will apply a major version upgrade to the app

ation partition. The system may be rebooted to complete the upgrade.

Continue with upgrade? :

% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.

Continue with upgrade? : yes

Error: This hardware platform, , is not supported in version 5.x .

regards ,

ahmed

Try renaming the file to:

IPS-K9-maj-5.0-1-S149.rpm.pkg

This is how the file should have downloaded from CCO, with capital letters for "IPS", "K9", and "S149". In the screen output above, it looks like the filename is in all lower case. Please let me know if this works.

-Rusty

hi,

thanks for your help i can upgrade now but i have a strange problem after i do sh ver on ips i got this o/p

sensor# sh ver

Application Partition:

Cisco Intrusion Prevention System, Version 5.0(1)S149.0

OS Version 2.4.26-IDS-smp-bigphys

Platform: IDS-4235

Serial Number: 7B3W251

No license present

Sensor up-time is 11 min.

Using 733876224 out of 923549696 bytes of available memory (79% usage)

system is using 17.3M out of 29.0M bytes of available disk space (59% usage)

application-data is using 31.0M out of 174.7M bytes of available disk space (19% usage)

boot is using 40.5M out of 75.9M bytes of available disk space (56% usage)

application-log is using 530.4M out of 2.8G bytes of available disk space (20% usage)

MainApp 2005_Mar_04_14.23 (Release) 2005-03-04T14:35:11-0600 Running

AnalysisEngine 2005_Mar_04_14.23 (Release) 2005-03-04T14:35:11-0600 Running

CLI 2005_Mar_04_14.23 (Release) 2005-03-04T14:35:11-0600

Upgrade History:

IDS-K9-maj-5.0-1- 14:16:00 UTC Thu Mar 04 2004

Recovery Partition Version 1.1 - 5.0(1)S149

sensor#

so what is the meaning of no license present and how i can get it also before upgrade i can connect to ids through https but now i can not so do u know any doc for how to work with ips

regards,

ahmed

Regarding the "No license present" message:

Beginning with IPS 5.0, an IPS Subscription Service License is required to install signature updates.

You can request an IPS Subscription Service License for all sensors covered by a maintenance contract at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/go/license

To manage your maintenance contracts use the Service Contract Center found at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/front.x/scccibdispatch?AppName=ContractAgent

With the initial release of 5.0, the first several signature updates will be released without the license enforcement to allow you time to get your maintenance contracts in order and your sensors licensed. However, it is recommended that you get your license and install it as soon as possible in order to avoid interruptions in your signature updates.

-Rusty

dear all,

can we upgrade nids 4235 to ips , without using the 4 fe card?

thnks in advance

nataraj

No, the 4235 only has 2 onboard interfaces. You will need an additional interface card to create a pair of interfaces. One interface must be reserved for management.

Actually the 4235 can be upgraded to 5.0(1) without the 4FE card. But it can only be run in promiscuous mode. For InLine mode the 4FE card would be needed.

yes i heard this . is there any disadvantage , if we run our nids in promiscous mode??

whts this inlinemode?? if u have a document , can u pls send it to me

Thanks in advance

nataraj

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card