cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

updating asa964-3-lfbff-k8.SPA disables port on 5508-X (two reboots to fix)

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

Have a new 5508-X clusters  running the first code update  (asa963-9-lfbff-k8.SPA) that addressed the 1st webvpn security bug.

Did in-place update, copy code etc  to standby, copy to active, make config changes on active, reboot standby. Make standby active, then reboot active, switch the now "standby active" to active.

Did this on 4 pairs of ASA 5508-X's with zero problems with asa963-9-lfbff-k8.SPA

Now here comes asa964-3-lfbff-k8.SPA. Used the same method for all ASA's clusters.  My final cluster had the issue 

This standby asa 5508-X took the asa964-3-lfbff-k8.SPA code update, I did a soft reboot via command prompt and my ASA INSIDE gi1/2 went down, interface down, protocol down. down/down the same on the 2900XR switch. After the reboot all other interfaces except for gi1/2 were UP on the standby.

Since this is a remote site, 1,000 miles away had to wait for "remote hands to come in".

Tried re-seating cables, nothing, swapping cables, nothing (link light dark on back of asa) swap switch ports.

So I tried another software reboot of the standby and the INSIDE gi1/2 come up as if there was nothing wrong. (we put back the original cables before reboot).

I have never seen an old 5520 behave like this, and none of my other 3 pairs of ASA's had this issue with asa964-3-lfbff-k8.SPA OS update.

Is this behavior something I can come to expect from my 5508-X.  This model is maybe 1 year old.

Have delayed updating the Active unit in this cluster because I don't trust the standby's "inside" to stay up if the one of the active's interface (take your pick) were to go down and possibly not come back up with a reboot, or power cycle update.

Opening up a tix with tac.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,
I have upgraded many different 55xx, 55xx-x, 21xx, 41xx models and many different softwares and never experienced something like that.
So I wouldn't expect something like that to happen.

br, Micke

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mikael.lahtela
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,
I have upgraded many different 55xx, 55xx-x, 21xx, 41xx models and many different softwares and never experienced something like that.
So I wouldn't expect something like that to happen.

br, Micke

A second (soft ) reboot fixed the problem. everything working fine.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card