cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade FTD on ASA in HA

gustavosamuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community, I need good advice to update two FTDs on ASA 5525X in HA from FMC

1) do you need to break the HA to update them one at a time? so there is no effect on the service?

Or is this process handled by the FMC without breaking the HA?

I await any comment.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

No, you do not need to break HA. Reference here.

High Availability Pairs: Firepower Software Upgrade

You should not experience interruptions in traffic flow or inspection while upgrading the Firepower software on devices in high availability pairs. To ensure continuity of operations, they upgrade one at a time. Devices operate in maintenance mode while they upgrade.

The standby device upgrades first. The devices switch roles, then the new standby upgrades. When the upgrade completes, the devices' roles remain switched. If you want to preserve the active/standby roles, manually switch the roles before you upgrade. That way, the upgrade process switches them back.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

No, you do not need to break HA. Reference here.

High Availability Pairs: Firepower Software Upgrade

You should not experience interruptions in traffic flow or inspection while upgrading the Firepower software on devices in high availability pairs. To ensure continuity of operations, they upgrade one at a time. Devices operate in maintenance mode while they upgrade.

The standby device upgrades first. The devices switch roles, then the new standby upgrades. When the upgrade completes, the devices' roles remain switched. If you want to preserve the active/standby roles, manually switch the roles before you upgrade. That way, the upgrade process switches them back.

HTH

Hi Rob, thank you very much for the solution.
I hope you are healthy

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card