Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade software version ASA 5525-X

mymono9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

as per title I have to upgrade software version of an ASA 5525X.

actually my current version is 9.1(1) so for the ASA upgrade path i need upgrade an interim version 9.1(2) then I can proceed with the 9.12(x) or 9.14(x). My problem is: version 9.1(2) is no longer present on cisco site to download! Can I directly upgrade to the target version, in my case "asa9-14-4-17-smp-k8.bin" ? Do you have any suggestion ?

just for info I'll proceed with cli 

thank you in advance for your support

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mymono9,

You are right about the upgrade path, and you are also right about the SW download (it is no longer available on Cisco portal). Upgrade path should guarantee hitless upgrade, and smooth configuration migration. However, you can migrate directly, with possible consequences (e.g. it will not be hitless, you'll loose part of config and similar).

I see several options here, depending on your environment:

1. You can open a TAC case, asking them to provide you necessarry software for intermediate step - probably easiest and prefered option
  2. If you have by any chance some earlier releases on your local ASA (e.g. 9.0.4 or some between 9.0.1 and 9.1.1, as per upgrade path), you could try with downgrade to this version and then upgrade to 9.12+
  3. You can install 9.12+ directly on ASA, and then manually migrate confguration to one devices (assuming that you have HA, you can do this offline, on standby device, replace them, and then re-add other device with new version)

Kind regards,

Milos

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @mymono9,

You are right about the upgrade path, and you are also right about the SW download (it is no longer available on Cisco portal). Upgrade path should guarantee hitless upgrade, and smooth configuration migration. However, you can migrate directly, with possible consequences (e.g. it will not be hitless, you'll loose part of config and similar).

I see several options here, depending on your environment:

1. You can open a TAC case, asking them to provide you necessarry software for intermediate step - probably easiest and prefered option
  2. If you have by any chance some earlier releases on your local ASA (e.g. 9.0.4 or some between 9.0.1 and 9.1.1, as per upgrade path), you could try with downgrade to this version and then upgrade to 9.12+
  3. You can install 9.12+ directly on ASA, and then manually migrate confguration to one devices (assuming that you have HA, you can do this offline, on standby device, replace them, and then re-add other device with new version)

Kind regards,

Milos

thank you very much @Milos_Jovanovic !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card