cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ASA 5545 cluster in Master/Slave pair.

t-andrews
Level 1
Level 1

Can't seem to find my previous reference to upgrading clustered ASAs in master/slave config.  Can someone please verify if the following looks correct?  Also... does the nomenclature change from Master/Slave to something else when going from 9.2 to 9.12?

This is a pair of ASAs running 9.2 ... I want to bump them to 9.12 (as I recall, I tried 9.14 previously and ran into an incompatibility with the current cluster config and a feature that was introduced in 9.13).

Assume that I am doing this directly connected to console with the 9.12 and ASDM images on a USB drive.  ASA1 is master, ASA2 is slave in a cluster group called "BC".

1. Copy the 9.12 image to disk0: on each ASA
2. Make the new image the default boot image on each ASA
3. Do the same with ASDM image
4. From ASA1, issue:  "cluster exec unit ASA2 reload" command and then check with "show cluster info" to verify it comes back on as Slave and is running 9.12
5. Issue "cluster group BC" and then "no enable" to disable clustering on ASA1 (master).
6. Reload ASA1

When ASA1 comes back up, I should be able to see that ASA2 is now master and ASA1 is now slave.  I can change this back with "cluster master unit ASA1"

Thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@t-andrews I'd refer to this Cisco guide for upgrading a cluster, it has a few more steps and covers the procedure in greater detail.

Yes, on ASA 9.12 they still use the terms master and slave.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

@t-andrews I'd refer to this Cisco guide for upgrading a cluster, it has a few more steps and covers the procedure in greater detail.

Yes, on ASA 9.12 they still use the terms master and slave.

Aha!   That is the guide I was looking for.   Thank you for taking a look.  Much appreciated!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card