cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading ASA5506-X to ASA5508-X : Performance considerations for ASDM management of ASA FirePower

I am planning on upgrading my trusty 5506-X to a 5508-X and I would like to know if I can expect an interface performance improvement for the on device management option in ASDM. The 5506-X is quite slow, and I have gotten used to it, but if I am going to upgrade I would like something that doesn't take 15-30 seconds to load each interface page.

I am also willing to explore the firepower 1000 or 2000 series devices if they are able to have an on device management interface.

Thank you, 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

5506-X to a 5508-X  - not major difference other than throughput levels.

doesn't take 15-30 seconds to load each interface page.  - Not sure where you access this from  ?

where is your ASDM installed or where is your ASA ? same network  ?

Firepower 1000 or 2000 series devices  - is the new world moving forward from ASA to FTD has Longer Life span. but FDM has Limited, required FMC to manage device.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I am on a separate routed network, still on site LAN. There are significant differences between 5506-X and 5508-X; specifically higher ASA/ASDM and SFR software revisions. The 5506-X is stuck at 9.9(2)/7.9(2) and SFR 6.2.3.16, the 5508-X I plan on imaging to 9.14/7.14 and SFR 6.6.1. I heavily dispute your statement about interface load time, It is in production, under normal load right now, attempting to modify the access control policy or modify rulesets takes a long time, 15-30 seconds is generous. Not every interface page takes 15 to 30 seconds, but any configuration page does, and deploying those changes takes over 15 minutes. 

I guess a better way to ask would be to get a little more specific : What performance increases may I expect from ASDM 7.9 to 7.14 with respect to managing the ASA firepower module? What performance increases may I expect upgrading from 6.2.3.16 to 6.6.1?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card