cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP with pix firewall

apriore685
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone setup a pix firewall with VOIP. I would like to have a Cisco 7960 phone at my house and be able to be on my Co. voice network.

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

This should not be a problem. Keep in mind if all you are using is a PIX then you can't get any QoS. Are you doing a VPN tunnel back to your company? Give a litle more info on how the connection is going to be set up and the VoIP gurus will chime in.

Well we have a demo room that has voip setup in it along with my firewall. I just wanted to staticaly translate an ip address to the call manager and have the phone at my house behind a dsl connection. Do I need a vpn tunnel? I am sure this has been done but have not found and good documentation of it.

If I understand what you are planinig on doing is mapping a public IP to the private IP address of the Call Manager. If I not mistaken this would require putting a public IP address on the IP Phone as well. The VoIP gurus can confirm this but I think that would be the case. In the absense of a VPN I don't see another way for the phone to get to the Call Manager but this could just be my limited knowledge. I seem to recall another post about putting CM on a public IP and some security gurus shot it down. Can't remember why though. Why don't you at least make things a little more secure and have the PIX create a tunnel back to the company and keep your data and phone calls more secure? I knwo someone doing this now w/o any problems with just a PIX and a cable modem but he is using a VPN.

If you can point me in the direction of a white paper or a sample config that would be perfect. Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card