cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the difference between ASA, ASDM, FTD, FMC, Firepower.

I am really confused by all these terms and when I look up the internet it's all jumbled up.

I understand ASA+Firepower=FTD

FMC is a management center, but for what? Only FTDs?

Whats is ASDM? Again a GUI version of ASA or a management center of ASA like FMC or is it FDM?

Then like ASDM, do we anything for FTD?

I am sure you would have understood how complicated I have made things and how confused I am now. Pleasee helpp!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BB - yes your understanding almost all correct, FTD is new ASA replacement along with Next Generation FW features built in.

- FMC Centralise Management Server to Manage FTD ( Like CSM to manage ASA)

Whats is ASDM? Again a GUI version of ASA or a management center of ASA like FMC or is it FDM?

ASDM is repalced with FMC (if you managing More FTD Kit,) there is also FDM also available like ASDM for the device management for FTD, with Limited Features.

Then like ASDM, do we anything for FTD?  - FDM ( Firepower Device Manager)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

ASDM & FDM are GUI versions for FTD? But in a cisco nugget programme for ASA I saw Keith using ASDM while he manages ASA and thats the reason I am quite confused with all this.

Or is it that we can manage both ASA and FTD via ASDM since ASA is after all a developed ASA?

To managed the ASA either you CLI to it or use ASDM (GUI)

To Manage the FTD you can your either FMC  or FDM.

Also what was Firepower here then? Is its just a product Cisco took from SourceFire?

correct Sourcefire cisco bought it in 2012 and rename is Firepower. 

Got This from Google :- Cisco® ASA with FirePOWER™ Services delivers an integrated threat defense across the entire attack continuum — before, during, and after an attack. It combines the proven security capabilities of the Cisco ASA Firewall with industry-leading Sourcefire® threat and advanced malware protection features in a single device.

After cisco bought Sourcefire they need to integrate it in cisco security products like ASA. what cisco did was to release a 5500-X series ASA. These boxes have a ASA software and also have a SSD drive This SSD drive have an operation system (just think of a vm workstation machine) which works with ASA code. in essence behind the scene ASA code and firepower (Sourcefire) working together to inspect the layer7 traffic. 

So according to the above its just a defense feature mechanism that cisco took over to add in ASA and make it a FTD.

correct. FTD appliance is a combination of ASA code and Sourcefire code which become as unified code.

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BB - yes your understanding almost all correct, FTD is new ASA replacement along with Next Generation FW features built in.

- FMC Centralise Management Server to Manage FTD ( Like CSM to manage ASA)

ASDM is repalced with FMC (if you managing More FTD Kit,) there is also FDM also available like ASDM for the device management for FTD, with Limited Features.

Then like ASDM, do we anything for FTD?  - FDM ( Firepower Device Manager)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

So just to clear my head..

ASDM & FDM are GUI versions for FTD? But in a cisco nugget programme for ASA I saw Keith using ASDM while he manages ASA and thats the reason I am quite confused with all this.

Or is it that we can manage both ASA and FTD via ASDM since ASA is after all a developed ASA?

Also what was Firepower here then? Is its just a product Cisco took from SourceFire?
Got This from Google :- Cisco® ASA with FirePOWER™ Services delivers an integrated threat defense across the entire attack continuum — before, during, and after an attack. It combines the proven security capabilities of the Cisco ASA Firewall with industry-leading Sourcefire® threat and advanced malware protection features in a single device.

So according to the above its just a defense feature mechanism that cisco took over to add in ASA and make it a FTD.

To managed the ASA either you CLI to it or use ASDM (GUI)

To Manage the FTD you can your either FMC  or FDM.

correct Sourcefire cisco bought it in 2012 and rename is Firepower. 

After cisco bought Sourcefire they need to integrate it in cisco security products like ASA. what cisco did was to release a 5500-X series ASA. These boxes have a ASA software and also have a SSD drive This SSD drive have an operation system (just think of a vm workstation machine) which works with ASA code. in essence behind the scene ASA code and firepower (Sourcefire) working together to inspect the layer7 traffic. 

correct. FTD appliance is a combination of ASA code and Sourcefire code which become as unified code.

please do not forget to rate.

Awesome!! Thanks so much for clearing this up!!

Thank you so much!!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card