cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When will IPv6 Multicast Routing be supported for Cisco ASA Firewalls (5525-X, 5555-X)?

lrnaust
Level 1
Level 1

I've read through Cisco ASA documentation and saw that IPv6 multicast routing is currently not supported. Was wondering if this is a work-in-progress or is this a feature that will never be offered for ASA 5500-X series firewalls?

Also, since IPv6 multicast routing is not supported currently, can the ASA firewalls still filter IPv6 multicast traffic in layer 2?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oliver Kaiser
Level 7
Level 7

You can filter IPv6 multicast traffic in transparent mode but afaik there is no roadmap item for IPv6 Multicast Routing (atleast not in the immediate future that I'm aware of)... As for ASA 5500-X I think you will never see the feature on that platform. New features (like VRF) will only be available on Firepower Threat Defense in the future, so old ASA software and hardware will probably not see that feature if it ever comes to life

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Oliver Kaiser
Level 7
Level 7

You can filter IPv6 multicast traffic in transparent mode but afaik there is no roadmap item for IPv6 Multicast Routing (atleast not in the immediate future that I'm aware of)... As for ASA 5500-X I think you will never see the feature on that platform. New features (like VRF) will only be available on Firepower Threat Defense in the future, so old ASA software and hardware will probably not see that feature if it ever comes to life

Hey, Oliver. Thanks for the feedback! That's unfortunate about IPv6 multicast routing support. Do you by chance know when VRF for FTD will be expected? I know you said in the future just wondering if there's a year Cisco announced. Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card