cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why CISCO ASA does NATing by default and not ROUTing ?

Peter Nemec
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

my question may sound stupid, but please explain to me the following behavior.

CISCO ASA 5505

Interfaces:

OUTSIDE - 194.50.90.221   255.255.255.0 / security level 0

DMZ - 192.168.12.254   255.255.255.0 / security level 25

INSIDE - 192.168.0.6     255.255.255.0 / security level 50

Now, if I want to ping from the DMZ to INSIDE, I get an error message "no translation group found for icmp src DMZ: ...... dst: INSIDE...."

I fixed is by adding "NAT 0" onto the INSIDE interface so that packets originating from "INSIDE" that are destined for "DMZ" do not get NAT'd.

Now my question is, becasue these are all directly connected networks, how come the firewall does not route the packets, but tries to NAT them instead... ???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Peter,

Kindly go through the doc, if you have qany queries, feel free to drop in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/nat_control.html

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Peter,

You would need the nat command only if you have nat-control enabled on the ASA, if it is no nat-control, you would just need an access-list to go from your dmz to inside.

You can check this by:

show run nat-control

It will tell you whether it is enabled or not.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A firewall is a security device. It's role is to separate trusted and untrusted networks. Part of that separation is controlled by the security level. You can't go from a less secure network to a more secure network without you specifically granting access (both NAT and ACL).

Peter Nemec
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys, makes sense now

This was just one of the thinks I wanted to have clarified

yes it is a firewall and not a router

By the way, I am still a bit confused, because I tried to run the "show run nat-control" and it shows "no nat-control"...

Yes I previously added access-lists to allow ICMP traffic flowing from lower sec level to higher sec level, but wont work without having NAT 0 specified in INSIDE interface...

But yeah, makes sense that because this is a firewall and no router, by default, It's supposed to provide the least-permissive conditions for traffic to flow through its interfaces...

Hi Peter,

Kindly go through the doc, if you have qany queries, feel free to drop in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/nat_control.html

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Thanks all again, I have read the last article, makes sense, cheers

Sure Peter , you can mark the thread as answered if your queries are resolved.

-Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card